The Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, formerly known as the Department of Forest Resource Management was established in 1995. In 1996, the first student intake was enrolled for the Bachelor of Science Degree in Forestry. Degree programmes offered in the Department are focus on building capacity that can ensure sustainable utilization, management and conservation of forests, water, environmental and agricultural resources amidst climate change. The Department is renowned for its focus on forestry, sustainable agriculture and sustainable natural resources management and climate change.
To build and enhance our reputation as a top-notch teaching and research unit of the institution which is recognized for its innovation, excellence and discovery, and attracts the best students and staff.
The Department offers the following programmes:
• BSc Forestry
• BSc Plant & Environmental Resources
• BSc Sustainable Natural Resources Management & Climate Change
• MSc/MPhil/PhD Natural Resources Management
• MSc/MPhil/PhD Sustainable Agriculture
• MSc/MPhil/PhD Climate Sustainable Development
Currently, all undergraduate programmes are offered on a full-time learning basis. Postgraduate programmes are offered on full-time and distance learning mode. For admission to a postgraduate programme, a candidate must possess a first degree in related field from a reputable and recognised institution.
Research and Teaching Interests
• Natural resources economics
• Natural resource assessment
• Environmental sustainability
• Natural resources governance and policy
• Environmental valuation
• Soil evaluation and land use
• GIS and remote sensing
• Plant physiology and ecology
• Agroforestry and sustainable agriculture
• Plant pathology and entomology
• Ecosystem services and climate change
• Tissue culture
• Plant breeding and agronomy