About the department (history)
The Department of Mathematics and Science education was formed in 2009, the year the School of Mathematics and Natural Sciences came into being. The Department of Mathematics and Sciences Education offers four year programmes to those that are planning a career in education and teaching options to specialize in Biology Education, Chemistry Education, Mathematics Education, and Physics Education. It prepares graduate teachers for high school and tertiary levels. The areas of focus for the department include:
- Providing education and training of educators and teachers for Mathematics and Science subjects at the school and tertiary levels.
- Conducting research to advance knowledge and its application and to advance the teaching and learning of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at all levels of education.
- Publishing and disseminating research results, knowledge, and innovations to society.
The overall objective of the department is to enable students acquire sufficient insight in the field of mathematics and science education. It also helps them to acquire practical knowledge which is necessary to function in Education and transmission of knowledge. The personal development of the students is furthered through independent work and pedagogical practices during their teaching practice.
The courses offered in the Department are as follows: Communication Skills, Introduction to Education, Principles of Education, Educational Media Technology, Education Research Methods, Educational Administration and Management and Methods of Teaching Mathematics and Science.
The objective of the course is for the students to acquire sufficient insight. it also helps them to acquire practical knowledge which is necessary to function in education and transmission of knowledge. The personal development of the students is furthered through independent work and through responsibility through their education.
- Bachelor of Science Mathematics Education
- Bachelor of Science Biology Education
- Bachelor of Science Physics Education
- Bachelor of Science Chemistry Education
- The Post-Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
- Master of Science Biology Education
- Master of Science Chemistry Education
- Master of Science Mathematics Education
- Master of Science Physics Education
- PhD in Mathematics and Science Education
FIRST YEAR COURSES ARE COMMON TO ALL THE PROGRAMMES
PH 120 Physics I
CH 120 Chemistry I
BI 120 Biology I
M 120 Mathematics
PE 110 Introduction to Education
PE 121 Communication Skills
Careers / opportunities
The Department spearheads the preparation of effective Mathematics and Science secondary school teachers, lecturers in higher institutions of learning and educational administrators who contribute to the holistic development of learners at secondary school level and the education system in Zambia