The Copperbelt University
Office of the Registrar
The Copperbelt University is a Public University established through an Act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987. The University’s core business is Teaching, Research and Innovation for National Development. The University is an equal opportunity employer and hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment to fill in the position of DIRECTOR - DAG HAMMARSKJÖLD INSTITUTE FOR PEACE AND CONFLICT STUDIES.
Provide strategic leadership for responsive research on national, regional and international trends in conflict and peacebuilding.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Develops and implements the strategic plan of the Institute.
• Plans and implements an active research agenda responsive to national and international needs.
• Leads a multi-disciplinary team in researching contemporary national, regional and international needs.
• Leads in producing peer-reviewed publications, policy briefs, occasional papers, and monographs.
• Organises public seminars and short courses.
• Participates in governance and peace-building matters both locally and abroad.
• Establishes collaborative links with relevant local and international research institutions.
• Promotes the development and implementation of the Institute’s teaching programmes.
• Participates in all ceremonies and events related to the Dag Hammarskjöld Memorial Crash Site in Ndola.
• Prepares annual reports and budgets for the Institute in line with the University's strategic plan
Qualifications and Experience:
• A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Governance, Peace and Conflict Studies or a cognate Social Science discipline, and a School certificate with five (5) O-Levels with credit or better in English and Mathematics.
• At least ten (10) years experience in teaching and research in a Higher Education Institution.
• A senior academic with demonstrated experience in administrative leadership position/s in a university or institution of equivalent standing.
• A track record of active research and publications in reputable journals.
• Knowledge of the University governance structure and national higher education policies.
• Demonstrated experience in planning, developing, and promoting relevant academic and research programmes.
• Experience in grant proposal design and implementation.
• Membership to a relevant professional body
Knowledge and Skills
• Must be computer literate
• Must be a self-motivated person.
• Must possess excellent written and communication skills
• Must have good interpersonal skills to interact with both staff and students.
• Must have good decision-making skills.
• Immediate Supervisor: Vice-Chancellor
• Salary Scale: MGT 05
Interested applicants meeting the above specifications should submit a detailed Curriculum Vitae, certified copies of Academic and Professional Certificates and three (03) names of referees, two (02) of whom must be Professionally acquainted with the applicant.
The Copperbelt University
Plot 4692, Jambo Drive, Riverside
P O Box 21692
NOTE: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted