Research and Innovations
Prof. Jameson Mbale
The Director for Research and Innovations, under the office of Vice-Chancellor coordinates and monitors all research programmes of the University. The responsibility of the Director is to ensure that research activities are conducted in accordance with the University’s policies. Hence this gives the Director an enormous task to ensure that relevant Policies such as the Intellectual Property Rights Policy (IPR), Plagiarism, Publication to name but a few, are timely provided for approval by the University.
The developing world needs various industrial tools to be used in agriculture, health, mining, engineering, communication, etc., in order to produce goods and services for citizens’ consumption. These goods and services can be more effectively produced through intensified basic and applied research. It is therefore, important for higher and tertiary education and training institutions to invest in constructive and productive research. It is encouraging to see the University actively involved in various research projects in collaboration with local and international organisations.
Dag Hammarskjold Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies
- Integrated Kafue River Catchment Area Management Project Baseline Studies
- Collective action and service delivery in Meanwood Housing areas of Ndeke Village, Kwamwena and Vorna Valley
- Youth mobilization and Elections violence
- Ethnic Power Relations in Zambian Government
- Cultural Use, Security Issues and Management Challenges in Mopane Woodland Resources in Kakumbi and Nsefu Chiefdoms of the Luangwa Valley, Eastern Province, Zambia
Funded Collaborative Projects
- Name of Project : Ethnic Power Relations and Conflict in Fragile States,”Project Number: 400240_147210.
Project Budget (US$) : 36‘000 Swiss Francs,
Source Funding : Swiss National Science Foundation and the Swiss Development
Agency (see http://www.r4d.ch).
Duration of Project : 36 Months
Partner Institutions / Organisations:
- 1.1. Center for Comparative and International Studies, ETH Zurich; University of Geneva.
- 1.2. American University in Cairo.
- 1.3. Centre for Studies in Social Exclusion, Tata Institute of Social Studies, India.
- 1.4. Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala Intituto de Investigacines Historicas.
- 1.5. Ghana Centre for Democratic Development, Accra.
- 1.6. Institute for Peace - Addis Ababa University.
- Name of Project : Economic and Social Research Council-DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research, Stream 3: Poverty in Urban Spaces. (Prof Sichone, Dr Bwalya and Mr Francis Muwowo SBE)
Source Funding : Economic and Social Research Council-DFID
Agency (see http://www.r4d.ch).
Duration of Project : 36 Months
Partner Institutions / Organisations:
- 2.1. University of Cape Town, African Centre for Cities.
- 2.2. Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology, School of Planning and Architecture.
- 2.3. Maseno University.
Graduate Research Projects
MA Peace and Conflict Studies Thesis Projects
- Samson Chilanga: Investigate the extent of parental-adolescent communication on sexuality in the context of HIV/AIDS, and associated social conflict: A case study of Kyawama urban and Kazomba Township of Solwezi
- Hyden Munene: Assessment of election administration and electoral values in Zambia: 1991-2011
- Vyatowa M. Ngambi: Urban informal markets, revenue collection mechanisms and human security in Zambia: some experiences from the Copperbelt Province
- Lumbiwe Mwanza: The impact of the media on good governance in Zambia between the years 2008 and 2013
- Lewis Mbinza: Relevance and impact of the cessation clause of 1951 refugee convention on African refugees
- Fredrick Mwebela: Preventing and managing electoral conflict and violence: The case of conflict management committees of the electoral commission of Zambia
- Bertha A. Phiri: Assessing of women participation in the non-traditional small scale mining sector in Zambia
- Robby Kapesa: Co-evolution of mining and economic benefit-based social conflict in Zambia
2014 Publications : Journals
- Chomba, C., Simpamba, T., Kampamba, G. and Nyirenda, V. (2014). Does the Luangwa Hippo Population size and density distribution vary between upper and lower study block? What are the management implications of such distribution patter? Open Journal of Ecology, 4(5),262-280
- Bwalya, J. and Seethal, C. (2014). Neighbourhood context and social cohesion in Southernwood, East London, South Africa. Urban Studies DOI: 10.1177/0042098014560502
- Bwalya, J. (2014). Contested urban spaces and the gauntlet of urban management: A case of Kitwe, Zambia. In: Ewusi, S.K. and Butera, J.B. (Eds), New Paths to Sustainable Peace – Peace, governance and security in Sub-Saharan Africa. Addis Ababa: University for Peace Africa Programme. ISBN: 978-99944-973-6-2
- Bwalya, J. and Seethal C. (2014). Spatial Integration in residential suburbs of East London, South Africa (1993–2008). Journal of Asian and African Studies DOI: 10.1177/0021909614535567
- Seethal, C., Bwalya, J. and Okecha, K. (2014). Voices from the periphery of Cape Town, South Africa: Governance in the Helderberg Sub-council area. In: Chaleard, J.L. (ed.), Métropoles aux Suds. Le défi des périphéries? Karthala. ISBN: 9782811110543
2014 International Conferences
- Tembo O. (2014). Post Conflict Reconstruction and Development In Africa: The Problematic Role Of The State. University for Peace Africa Program: International Symposium on Governance and Security in Africa, April, 28 – 30, United Nations Conference Center, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Chidoori, E. R. (2014). Grassroots Peacebuilding in The DRC. University for Peace Africa Program: International Symposium on Governance and Security in Africa, April, 28 – 30, United Nations Conference Center, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Kwaleyela L. (2014). Post-Conflict Reconstruction and Development: Breaking Through the Cycle of Violence – An Assessment of The WDR 2011. University for Peace Africa Program: International Symposium on Governance and Security in Africa, April, 28 – 30, United Nations Conference Center, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Bwalya J. (2014). Contested Urban Spaces and the Gauntlet of Urban Management: A Case of Kitwe, Zambia. University for Peace Africa Program: International Symposium on Governance and Security in Africa, April, 28 – 30, United Nations Conference Center, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Sichone, O. (2014). Research for Development Programme Launch Workshop. Swiss National Science Foundation and the Swiss Development Agency, April28-30, in Ittingen, and Ethnic Power Relations and Conflict in Fragile States workshop at ETH Zurich on 1st May.
School of the Built Environment
Real Estate Research Group
- An investigation into the variances between rating values and market assessments for sales in Zambia.
- Land for Housing markets in informal settlements of Zambia (Urban and Regional Planning Research Group)
- Exploring the compliance of Public Institutions in the principles of Facilities management (Real Estate Research Group)
- Urban Space and Poverty (Urban and Regional Planning Group)
- Alternative Building materials (Architecture and Construction Economics and Management
Graduate Research Projects
- Analysis of Risks Associated with Real Time Gross Settlement System in Commercial Banks in Zambia (RTGS)
- An Integration of Solid Waste Management in Slum Upgrading Programme in Zambia: A Case of Kawama East Mufulira
- Development of a Management Support Tool in Fuel handling to Control Losses in Fuel Deposits in Zambia
- The application of Total Quality Management on Government Funded Road Projects in Zambia: The case of Copperbelt Province
- Analysing the role of stakeholder management on implementation of construction projects in Kitwe
- An exploration of motivation factors that can be utilized to enhance workers’ performance on projects
- A study on challenges faced by Local Contractors when accessing government projects
Critical Areas for Partnership with Local and International Organisations
- Nation Council for Construction (NCC): Training, Research and Consultancy
- International labour Organisation: Contract Research in Construction Industry
- Association for African Planning Schools: Research in Informal Settlements and Housing
- Cape Town University Department of planning: Research in Urban Space and Poverty
- Ministry of Local Government and Housing : Research in Urban Planning Policy; Legislative Reform; Small Plans Bureau
- Zambia Institute of Architects: Research in alternative building materials.
- Binyi, L, and Mwanza, F. (2014a). Social integration in public spaces and landscapes: perceptions and experiences towards multicultural Shanghai. Chinese Studies, 3(1).
- Binyi, L, and Mwanza, F. (2014b). Towards sustainable tourism development in Zambia: advancing planning and natural resource management for “greener” tourism in livingstone victoria (mosi-oa-tunya) area. International Scientific Academy of Engineering and Technology (ISAET) ISSN 2320 –4087 (Online Version), 1(5).
- Chileshe, R and Shamaoma, H. (2014). Examining the challenges of Cadastral Surveying Practice in Zambia. South African Journal of Geomatics, 3(1), 54-63.
- Lushinga, N. (2014). Effect of vertical and horizontal load on pavement interface shear stress. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, 3(10), 1295-1299.
- Makashini, L., Ng’ombe, A., Abanda, H., Malama, A. and Mudenda, P. (2014). Household lifestyle, energy related practices and perceptions of energy efficiency: evidence from Kitwe, Zambia. AIMS Energy, 2(3), 276-294.
- Malama, A., Mudenda, P., Ng’ombe, A., Makashini, L. and Abanda. H. (2014). The effects of the introduction of prepayment meters on energy usage behaviour of different domestic consumer groups in Kitwe, Zambia. AIMS Energy, 2(3), 237-259.
- Mushinge, A. (2014): Land tenure security in selected countries: Securing land and Property Rights for All. UN Habitat Synthesis Report 2, 13-15.
- Ngombe, A. Keivani, R. Mattingly, M and Michael S. (2014). Impacts of privatization of customary land rights in Zambia: A comparative study of rural and peri-urban locations. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research (IJURR), 38(6), 1985-2007.
- Ngombe, A and Mushinge, A. (2014). The role of culture and belief systems in shaping customary land reform. International Journal of Social Science Studies, 2(4), 123-134.
- Nonde, L. (2014). Effects of vertical and horizontal load on pavement interface shear stress. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, (ISSN 2278-0181), 3(10), 1295-1299.
2014 Publications : Conference/ Seminar Papers
- Chileshe, R. A. and Ngoma G. C. (2014). Introducing education for sustainable development in the school of the built environment at the Copperbelt University. ESD in Higher Education ITP - Results Seminar, 25th – 28th November, Rhodes University, South Africa.
- Chiponde, D.B., Tembo, C.S., Mutale, L. and Chisumbe, S. (2014). Information and communication technology supported inventory management: A tool for improving cost control in the Zambian construction industry. Infrastructure Development and Investment Strategies for Africa – DII, Chrisma Hotel, Livingstone, 25th -26th September.
- Chiponde, D.B., and Pasquire, C. (2014). Application of lean construction as a competitive strategy for local contractors in the Zambian construction industry. Conference on Infrastructure Development and Investment Strategies for Africa – DII, Chrisma Hotel, Livingstone, 25th -26th September.
- Chunda-Mwango, N. (2014). Enhancing the performance of conservancies. Symposium of Contemporary Conservation Practice, Fern Hill Conference Centre, Howick, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, 3rd -7th November.
- Mukalula, P., Muya M. & Mwiya B. (2014). Risk allocation in public private partnerships – a decision for Zambia. Conference on Infrastructure Development and Investment Strategies for Africa – DII, Chrisma Hotel, Livingstone, 25th -26th September.
- Munshifwa, E and Mooya, M. (2014). Property rights and the production of the urban built environment in Zambia. ISNIE2014 Conference, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA. 19th – 21st June.
- Mutale, L., Chiponde, D. Tembo, C, Matipa and N’gandu, V. (2014). Building information modeling (BIM): An assessment of its viability in cost management in the Zambia construction industry. Association of Schools of Construction of Southern Africa, Eighth Built Environment Conference, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa, 27th -29th July.
- Phiri, A. D. (2014). Urban Land readjustment as a strategy for provision of bulk infrastructure and low cost housing in Zambia. Conference on Infrastructure Development and Investment Strategies for Africa – DII, Chrisma Hotel, Livingstone, 25th -26th September.
- Tembo, C and Mutale, L. (2014). Construction malpractices: a case of adherence to the testing mechanisms in the Zambian construction industry. Association of Schools of Construction of Southern Africa, Eighth Built Environment Conference, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa, 27th -29th July.
- Tembo, C., Chiponde, D., Michello, N. and Mutale, L. (2014). Feasibility of integrated risk management in reducing risks on infrastructure projects in the Zambian construction industry. Association of Schools of Construction of Southern Africa, Eighth Built Environment Conference, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa, 27th -29th July.
- Tembo, C. K., Zulu, E and Kapilya, M. (2014). Business management: Strategy for small-scale contractors in the Zambian construction industry. Conference on Infrastructure Development and Investment Strategies for Africa – DII, Chrisma Hotel, Livingstone, 25th -26th September.
- Zulu, E, Bwalya, H. and Mutwale, J. (2014). Procurement fraud prevalence, causes, responses and challenges in the Zambia construction industry. Association of Schools of Construction of Southern Africa, Eighth Built Environment Conference, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa, 27th -29th July.
School of Business
A summary of the ongoing research activities follows below :
- Dr. Kapena, S., Dr C. Shikaputo, C. and Mr Mudenda, C. Addressing Constraints Facing Small Scale Farmer Cooperatives to Improve Maize Marketing in Zambia: A Case Study of Copperbelt Province.
- Dr Maliti, B., Mr Sikombe, Mrs Lesa, and Mr Mulongoti. An Assessment of the Main Predictors of Social Project Outcome Sustainability in Zambia: A Case Study of USAID Funded Projects.
2014 Publications: Conferences
- Sikombe, S. (2014). School of Business Corporate Social Responsibility Discourse from the Mining Corporations and their Communities in Zambia. African International Business and Management Conference (AIBUMA), University of Nairobi,.
- Dr. Kapena, S. (2014). Buyer-supplier research on the benefits of the Kaizen training program in the Zambian copper mining sector. TIPS/DTI/UJ Research into Regional Industrialisation, TIPS Premises, 227 Lange St, Niew Muckleneuk, Pretoria, 22nd May 2014 9-18:00, 23rd May.
- Dr Sichinsambwe, C., and Dr. Kapena, S. (2014). TIPS/DTI/UJ Research into Regional Industrialisation 2014: Insights from a study of industrialization of rural Zambia. TIPS Premises, 227 Lange St, Niew Muckleneuk, 22nd May - 23rd May Pretoria
School of Engineering
2014 Publications : Journals
- Chama, S., Sackey, S., Ancha, V., Chinyama, M., Onana, C., Danwe, R., Megahed, M., Delpouve, B., Mahomed, N., kayibanda V., Mukeba L., Muller, A. (2014). Collaborative meta-profile development to harmonise mechanical engineering education in Africa. Tuning Journal for Higher Education, 2(1), 161-178.
- Chirwa, E. C., Hongyu, Li., Peng, Q. (2014). Modelling of a 32 seat bus and virtual testing for R66 compliance. Int. J. Crashworthiness, (Accepted – IJCR-S-14-00023).
- Hongyu, Li., Chirwa. E. C. (2014). Development of a mobility scooter finite element model. Int. J. Crashworthiness, (Accepted – IJCR-S-14-00024).
- Siwale, L., Kristóf, L., Bereczky, A., Mbarawa, M., and Kolesnikov, A. (2014). Performance, combustion and emission characteristics of n-butanol additive in methanol–gasoline blend fired in a naturally-aspirated spark-ignition engine. Journal of Fuel Processing Technology.
- Zulu, E. (2014). Reliability assessment in active distribution networks with detailed effects of PV systems. Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, March.
2014 Publications : Conferences
- Sackey, S., Chama, S., Megahed, M., Onana, C., Ancha, V., Chinyama, M., Danwe, R., Delpouve, B., Mukeba, L., Kayibanda, V., Mahomed, N., Muller, A. (2014). Reforming mechanical engineering higher education in Africa for increased industry relevance. iCEER 2014 McMaster Digest, Canada.
- Sackey, S., Chama, S., Megahed, M., Onana, C., Ancha, V., Chinyama, M., Danwe, R., Delpouve, B., Mukeba, L., Kayibanda, V., Mahomed, N., Muller, A. (2014). Tuning mechanical engineering higher education in Africa towards a unified quality and accreditation. iCEER 2014, McMaster Digest, Canada.
- Sashikumar, S., Chirwa, E. C., Matsika, E., Peng, Q. (2014). Investigation of loading effects on a hip implant in a vehicle occupant involved in a frontal crash. Proc. of The International Crashworthiness Conference, ICRASH2014, Riverside Majestic Hotel, 25 - 28 August 2014, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Sashikumar, S., Chirwa, E. C., Matsika, E., Peng, Q., Hongwu, H. (2014). Theoretical consideration of the failure mechanism of an aluminium “Egg Box” energy absorber. Proc. of the International Crashworthiness Conference, ICRASH2014, Majestic Hotel, 25 - 28 August 2014, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Peng, Q., Chirwa, E. C., Sashikumar, S., Hongwu, H. (2014). Effects of ground type on the behaviour of a small passenger car in dynamic rollover virtual testing. Proc. of the International Crashworthiness Conference, ICRASH2014, Riverside Majestic Hotel, 25 - 28 August 2014, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Peng, Q., Chirwa, E. C., Sashikumar, S., Hongwu, H. (2014). A comparison study of egee-box style roof and strengthen roof in vehicle dynamic rollover test. Proc. of The International Crashworthiness Conference, ICRASH2014, Riverside Majestic Hotel, 25 - 28 August 2014, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Matsika, E., Chirwa, E. C., Peng, Q. (2014). Crash safety of a typical bay table. Proc. of the International Crashworthiness Conference, ICRASH2014, Riverside Majestic Hotel, 25 - 28 August 2014, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Matsika, E., Chirwa, E. C., Peng, Q. (2014). Crash safety of a typical bay table in a railway vehicle. Proc. of the International Crashworthiness Conference, ICRASH2014, Riverside Majestic Hotel, 25 - 28 August 2014, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Matsika, E., Chirwa, E. C., Peng, Q. (2014). Analytical approach to determining factors that influence wheelchair occupant kinematics during a railway vehicle crash. Proc. of the International Crashworthiness Conference, ICRASH2014, Riverside Majestic Hotel, 25 - 28 August 2014, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Chirwa, E. C. (2014). The Vision 2030: Raising the bar for the Engineering Professionals in Zambia. The Engineering Institution of Zambia, 2014 Symposium, Zambezi Sun Hotel, Livingstone, Zambia, 18th – 19th April.
- Luwaya, E., Chisale, P.C., and Yamba, F. D. (2014). A parametric analysis of conversion efficiency of earthen charcoal making kiln using a numerical method. 10th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, 14 – 16 July, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Zilole, S. (2014). Investigating the use of interactive voice response (IVR) in medical adherence monitoring, International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology. Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology 2014, 2-4 April/paper.
- Ndiaye, M. (2014). Fibre voltage sensor based on intensity modulation. International Conference for SPIE Defence Sensing and Se May 2014, Baltmore, USA, curity/paper.
- Luwaya, E., Chisale, P.C. and Yamba, F. D. (2014). A parametric analysis of conversion efficiency of earthen charcoal making Kiln using a numerical method. 10thInternational Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics 14 – 16 July, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Zulu, E. (2014). Reliability assessment in active distribution networks with detailed effects of PV systems. 2nd International Symposium on Energy Challenges and Mechanic Presentation, Aberdeen, UK, 19th – 21st August.
- Zilole, S. (2014). Investigating the use of interactive voice response (IVR) in medical adherence monitoring. International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology”, In Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology 2014, Florence ,Italy, 2-4 April.
- Ndiaye, M. (2014). Fibre voltage sensor based on intensity modulation. International Conference for SPIE Defence Sensing and Security - May 2014, Baltmore, USA.
- Ndiaye, M. (2014). A fibre optic voltage sensor based on fibre to fibre coupling. International Photonics and Opto - Electronics Congress, Wuhan, China, 18 – 21 June.
School of Graduate Studies
Professor John Lungu
- Corporate governance issues in southern Africa. This is long term research part of which has been presented to the Economic Commission for Africa.
- Comparing the effects of finance on recipient and non-recipient firms in Zambia. This is currently on-going. The study is being done in conjunction with the Amsterdam Institute for International Development who are providing the financing. A total of $32,000 will be provided over a period of two years.
Professor Juvenalis M. Tembo
- Associate Professor of Marketing
- Adjunct Professor at University of Lusaka
- Fellow, Zambia Institute of Marketing
- Innovation and (Marketing) Growth among small and medium enterprises in rural Zambia.
- A survey of Marketing Education and Employment
Dr. Thomas Kweku Taylor
- “ Analysis of Residents ’ Perception of Determinants Affecting Local Government Service Delivery: Case of City Councils in Zambia. ”
- Thomas Kweku Taylor, “ The Evolutionary Processes of Border Town Development: Case of Mwami Border Town in Zambia. ”
- Thomas Kweku Taylor, “ Re-Thinking Town and Country Planning Practice in Zambia ”
School of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
CBU Seed Funded Projects: Department of Mathematics
- Mulenga, J. and Mubila, L. Mathematical modelling of epidemiology of malaria: A case study of Luapula province of Zambia. CBU Senate Research Grants, K47, 044.00.
- Hamanenga, J. - Emerging Risk Impact on Ruin Probability using the Classical and Renewal Risk Model. CBU Senate Research Grants
Department of Biological Sciences
- Dr. Mutondo, M. Lead Researcher- Microbial Biodiversity as a Source of Novel Antimicrobial Agents and Bio-fertilisers. CBU Senate Research Grant.
- Dr. Sakufiwa, E. -A study of beetles currently known to occur in Zambia (expected publication in 2015-2016). In Collaboration with Mrs. Mukolo Taguma from Mt. Makulu Research Station.
- Dr. Sakufiwa, E. -Incidence of Pests of Flamboyant Trees at Copperbelt University in Zambia (up to 2015)
- Ms Mpala, P. - Effects of Ammonia on the Growth of Broiler Chickens-Part II. Supported NICHE HEART Collaborative Research Grant (K25,000) and with Professor G. Nkonde (PI) and Dr. E. Ncube (collaborator)
- Mr. Todd, J. - Soil, Stream Sediment, Flora and Fauna Study of the Mopani Mufulira Mine Site- (March to May, 2014) with Collaboration of Prof. K. Maseka, Mr W. Moono, Dr. P. Mwaanga, and Ms C. Monde.
Department of Physics
- Simpemba, P., Chinyama, K., Mumba, N., Choobe, B., Nkhata, L., Simpande, A., Simfukwe, J., Kanduza, A., and Musonda, F.B. - Inquiry into the Indigenous, Cultural and Traditional Astronomical Knowledge: A case of the Lamba land of Zambia. Funded by the NUFFIC HEART PROJECT/Copperbelt University and with collaboration of Prof. A. Kanduza, (Zambia Open University) and Prof. F.B. Musonda (University of Zambia).
- Prospery C. Simpemba (PI)- Starlight in the university lab (Astrolab). Funded by the International Astronomical Union (IAU), Office of Astronomy for Development (OAD) for January-December 2014 with collaborators: Prof. Jean-Pierre De Greve (VrijeUniversiteit Brussel (VUB), Belgium), MichèleGerbaldi (Institutd’Astrophysique de Paris (IAP), France).
Department of Mathematics and Science Education
- Simpande, A. C. Exploring Assessment Preferences of First year Students at a public University.
- Simpande, A. C. A Comparative Study of the Home Literacy environments of two residential areas in Kitwe. Research completed, not yet published.
- Simpande A. C., & Mahlangu L.C. Examination of attitudes of university students toward reading.
- Simpemba, P., Ms Choobe, Mr. L.Nkhata, Dr. Mumba, Mr. A. Simpande, Dr. K Chinyama, Mr C. Makondo, Prof A. Kanduza, Dr. F.B. Musonda, Ms D. Mambwe. Inquiry into the Indigenous, Cultural and Traditional Astronomical Knowledge: A case of the Lamba land People of Zambia. Funded by the HEART Project.
- Shumba, O., Choobe, B., Kasali, G. & Namiluko, Y. Inventory of the CBU carbon emissions. Funded by the Senate Research Grants, CBU, K93,000.
- Chituta, D., Nkhata, L., Jumbe, J., Choobe, B. & Shumba, O. Impact of teaching practice on student teachers on the Copperbelt: Towards improving pedagogical and classroom management.
- Mbulwe, W. & Chama, S. Efficiency Analysis of Secondary Schools in Zambia Using Panel Data Models. CBU Senate Research Grants, K25,000
- Mbulwe, W. Technical and allocative efficiencies of filling stations on the Copperbelt of Zambia
- Mbulwe, W. & Chewe, M. Measuring the relative efficiency of healthcare delivery in private and public clinics on the Copperbelt of Zambia.
Department of Mathematics
- Panga, G.L., Prof. Phiri, P.A., and Kabwita, P.M. “ Abstract for Symplectic Yang-Mills theory ”
- Panga, G.L., Prof. Phiri, P.A., and Kabwita, P.M. “ Pull back Symplectic Vector Sheaf ”
- Panga, G.L., Prof. Phiri, P.A., Kabwita, P.M. “ Behavior of A-symplecticomorphisms on the Ricci A-tensors ”
- Mwape, J., and Prof. Phiri, P.A. “ Excellence in Delivery Of Mathematical Concepts In The Classroom”
- Sakala, W. Elements of Algebraic Geometry and Groner Bases
- Sakala, W. “ Determining the Dimensions of Systems of Algebraic Equations Using Groebner Bases ”
- Ng’ambi, R. “ Characterizing Centre of Ring of Endomorphism of Finite Rank Completely Decomposable Torsion Free Abelian Groups ”
- Ng’ambi, R. “ Classifications Almost Completely Decomposable Groups: Block Rigid Groups ”
- Mwenya, J. “ Expected Utility Maximization Under Transaction Costs ”
- Mwenya, J. “ Deriving the H.J.B-Equation Using the ITO-Calculus-”
- Mwenya, J. “ Modelling the Efficiency Levels of Secondary Schools Using Frontier Analysis ”
- Mwenya, J. “ Modelling and Forecasting Using Time Series Garch-Models: An Application of Zambia Inflation Rate Data ”
- Giver, P. Sikalinda and Prof. Tailoka, F. “ Analysis and Forecasting of DOMT Collections in Zambia ”
- Dr. Henry M. Mulenga “ Inter annual variability of rainfall in Zambia ”
- Lunjebe, A. “ Modelling of Crime and Poverty ”
- Zulu, A. “ Modelling data observed regularly in time ”
Department of Chemistry
- Dr Singh. Effect of Diagnostic Teaching Approach on students’ Achievement Levels in Chemistry: A Case of Kabundi and Naboonga Secondary Schools.
- Dr Lwenje. Physico-chemical properties of oils from indigenous plants.
- Prof. Maseka. Analyses of PCBs in contaminated soils.
- Dr Lwenje. Translation of Chemistry representations by chemistry and Science chemistry pupils at senior secondary school: the case of five Secondary Schools in Chipata District of Eastern Province.
- Dr Singh. Analyses of PCBs in Eggs from different sources and in different towns of the Copperbelt.
- Mr. Daka, P. S. and Dr. Mwanga, P. The assessment of the Chemical Pollution of Kafue River: Implications for Fish Health and reproduction.
Department of Computer Science
- Mr Banda, M. K. and Mr Nkonde, E., and Mr Ng‘andwe, P. - Sexuality in the University (Concluded)
- Dr Libati, H., and Mr Ndhovu, L. - Air quality monitoring systems. Joint research between Zambia and SA, cordinated by the National Research Foundation (NRF) and National Science and Technology Council (NSTC)
- Elisha Ncube, Fabian Malambo, Phillimon Ng’andwe, Nchimunya Chaamwe- Xylarium & web-based wood database for commercial, lesser-used/-known timber species in Zambia (Funded by CBU and on going)
- M K Banda, C Mudenda, R Kasubika- Research on production, marketing, consumption and value addition of edible wild roots, tubers and bulb in Central, Copperbelt and Lusaka provinces (funded by Banko Foundation)
- Dr Chaamwe, Dr Simooya, Ms Choobe, Mr Nkhata- An indigenous Health Management System for Traditional Medicines in Zambia. (Proposal stage)
Doctoral Research: Department of Biological Sciences
- Gezile Chalwe- Assessment and monitoring of anthropogenic endocrine disruptors in Zambia. For PhD in Biotechnology (2013-2017) under supervision of Prof. K. Maseka, Dr M. Mutondo, & Dr K. Schilongo (University of Botswana).
2014 : Books Published
- Prof. Tailoka F., Nan, Koppara N., and Kerala K. (2014). Study guide for business statistics and Economics, ISBN 978-81-922374-1-1, Nandanam Publishing House, India.
2014 : Book Chapters
- Mbale, J., and Manish, W. (2014). Securing enterprise from malicious attacks on their networks. Technology, Innovation, and Enterprise Transformation, IGI Global, 2015, 1-378. Web. 17 Oct. 2014. Doi: 10.4018/978-1-4666-6473-9, ISBN 13: 9781466664739, 118 – 142.
- Mbale, J., Ntinda, M., and Stefanus, van. S. (2014). e-Government service delivery model (eGovSDM): Aspects of Namibia’s road-map to Vision 2030. Computing in Research and Development in Africa: Benefits, Trends, Challenges and Solutions, Springer International Publishing AG, Doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-08239-4_13, ISBN 978-3-319-08238-7, 267– 285.
2014 Publications : International Journals
- Musonda, A., Mwewa, P. and Samuel, B. E. (2014). An Investigation into the development of ICT skills among mathematics students in higher learning institutions, a Case of Mukuba. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), 3(7), ISSN 2319 – 7064 paper id 02014614, http://www.ijsr.net.
- 2 Bbole, I., Katongo, C., Deines, A. M., Shumba, O., and Lodge, D. M. (2014). Hybridization between non-indigenous oreochromis niloticus and native oreochromis species in the lower Kafue river and its potential impacts on fishery. Journal of Ecology and The Natural Environment, 6(6), 215-225.
- Valerie, G. and Mbale, J. (2014). Telecom Namibia enterprise mobile architecture (TNEMA): Bring your own devices. Internet of Things and Cloud Computing, 2(4), 26-31, Doi: 10.11648/j.iotcc.20140204.12.
- Libati, H. M. and Makombo, B. (2014). A Web based water utility service assistant. International Journal of Internet and Web Applications (IJIWA). 1, ISSN: 2356-5861.
- Dr Chaamwe, N. and Mr Lulembo, K. - Evaluating the Impact of ICTs on Human Resource Service Delivery: A Case of Barclays Bank Zambia. Journal Advanced Management Science (JOAMS) (Accepted)
2014 Publications : International Conferences
- Simpemba, P. C., Colafrancesco S., Chinyama K., Paulo M., Govender K., Backes M., Davids I.D. and Simfukwe J. (2014). A Boost to Astronomy in Southern Africa, 59th South African Institute of Physics (SAIP) Conference, 07- 11 July, University of Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Simpemba, P. C., Colafrancesco, S. and Chinyama, K. (2014). Major unresolved matters about blazars and active galactic nuclei. Fourth East African Astronomical Society Workshop, 30 June-04 July, University of Rwanda, Kigali, Rwanda.
- Simpemba, P. C., Chinyama, K., Simfukwe, J. and Mlyuka, N. R. (2014). Spectral selectivity of doped zinc and aluminium oxide thin films prepared by spray pyrolysis for solar energy applications. Proceedings of SAIP2013: the 58th Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Physics. [Online publication, October]
- Simfukwe, J., Chinyama, K. G., Simpemba, P., Hatwaambo, S. (2014). Design and evaluation of a low-cost photovoltaic system with semi-diffuse structured aluminium reflectors. Proceedings of SAIP2013: the 58th Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Physics. [Online publication, October 2014]
- Kasali, G. (2014). Applying climate vulnerability assessment for targeting interventions in slums of Kitwe in Zambia. Paper presented at the Research Workshop on Building Resilience in Informal Settlements, 17 - 19 February, Source of the Nile Hotel, Jinja, Uganda.
2014 Publications : Local Conferences
- Suresh, N. and Mbale, J. (2014). NRENs cloud infrastructure framework (NRENs-CLIF): Case Study of SADC region. 7th Annual Conference of UbuntuNet Alliance, UbuntuNet Connect, NUANCE, Lusaka, Zambia, November.
- Dr Chaamwe, N. and Mr Shumba, L. (2014). ELearning using wireless ad-hoc network to support teaching and learning in rural Zambia. Presented at the Ubuntu-Connect 2014 International Conference, Lusaka, Zambia, 13 – 14th November.
- Hayumbu, P. (2014). Overview of analytical techniques used for radon and silica exposure assessment in the Zambian Copper Mining industry over the period 1991-2011. Presentation Given at the Chemical Society Of Zambia Conference, Moba Hotel, Kitwe, ZAMBIA on 22nd February.
- Hayumbu, P. (2014). Silica/silicosis effects on miners in the mining. Health, Safety and Environment Conference Mulungushi, 10th - 11th July.
- Hayumbu, P. (2014). Introduction to Zambian construction sector and occupational safety and health legislation in the Zambian construction sector, Presentation of Chapters 1 and Chapter of the Dissemination and Validation Workshop of the ILO Report on OSH Profile in Building Construction Sector in Zambia held at Sandy’s Creations, Lusaka, Zambia, 26th November.
- Kasali, G. (2014). Differential ecosystem vulnerability to climate stressors and perspectives for internal migration in Zambia. Paper presented at the Environmental Migration, Political Marginalization and Violence Seminar, 15 October, the Copperbelt University (DHIPS) - Kitwe, Zambia.
School of Medicine
|1||TB DOTs in copperbelt Province||Mrs C Muchemwa||150,000K CBU Research funds|
|2||Anatomy organs standard weight||Prof K Bowa||15,000K CBU SM Research funds|
|3||Male Circumcision Perceptions||Prof K Bowa||15,000K CBU SM Research funds|
|4||Edible insection nutritional components||Prof N Siulapwa||5,000USD NSTC|
|5||Dipstick Test Schistosomiasis||Dr V Mwanakasale||10,000 National Institute of Research China|
|6||Eostorgen in waste water||Dr S Sichilima||20,000USD NSTC|
|7||Maternal and Child Health interventions||Dr V Mukonka||10,000USD WHO|
Educational and Training Grants
|1||NEXT STEP|| Prof K Bowa |
Prof O Vainio
|University Oulu EU grant 100,000USD|
|2||CONSAMS|| Prof Bowa |
|MEPI University of Botswana 100,000USD|
|3||MEPI|| Prof K Bowa |
Prof Y K Mulla
|MEPI NHI USA 1,200,000USD|
Currently research projects are grouped under clinical, basic sciences and public health:
- A prospective study to review the weight of important internal organs compared to that of text book values at Ndola Central Hospital.
- Care of emergencies in Ndola
- The challenge of training the graduate students in medicine
- Examining the tuberculosis treatment outcomes under directly observed treatment short-course (DOTs) on the Copperbelt Province, Zambia: 2006-2012
- A historical cohort study to compare admission criteria and examination performance in first year medical students at the Copperbelt University, Ndola in Zambia
- Review of histopathological diagnosis of surgical specimens examined at Ndola Central Hospital from 2003 to 2013
- Review of mortality among general surgical and obstetrics and gynaecological patients at Ndola Central Hospital from 2003 to 2013
- Review of mortality among paediatric surgical patients at Arthur Davison Hospital from 2002 to 2012
- Pattern of paediatric surgical diseases at Arthur Davison Hospital from 2002 to 2012
- Pattern of general surgical diseases at Ndola Central Hospital from 2003 to 2013
- Pattern of orthopaedic surgery at Ndola Central Hospital from 2003 to 2013
- Clinical Research
- Neglected Tropical Diseases
- Public Health Research
- Basic Science Research
Partnerships and Linkages
The CBU SOM collaborates with local research institutions that include the Tropical Disease Research Centre (TDRC) and the School of Medicine of the University of Zambia (UNZA). Internationally, it is part of two consortia, the Consortium of New Medical Schools (CONSAMS) that include the University of Nambia, University of Bostwana, UNILURIO Mozambique, University of Lesotho, Oulu University in Finland and the University of Vanderbilt in the USA.
The other consortium is the Medical Education Initiative which consist of 13 Universities in Africa and is funded under a NHI program of the USA government. The total annual support through these two programs amount to US$ 200,000USD per annum. The School is in the process of commencing international collaborations with the University of Tel Aviv in Israel, the University of the Western Cape and University of cape Town.
Funded Collaborative Projects
|Name of Project||Project Budget (US$)||Source Funding||Duration of Project||Partner Institutions / Organisations|
|COSAMS||100,000||USAID/PREFFAR||June 2011-July 2014||UNAM,UNILURIO,University of Bostwana|
|MEPI||100,000||USAID||Jan 2011 to September 2016||UNZA SOM|
2014 Publications : Journals
- Babaniyi, O., Songolo, P., Rudatsikira, E., Muula, A. S., Mulenga, D., Mazaba-Liwewe, M.L., Ndumba, I., Masaninga, F., and Siziya, S. (2014). Impaired fasting glucose level and diabetes in Kaoma and Kasama rural districts of Zambia: Prevalence and correlates in 2008-2009 population based surveys. Archives of Medicine 6(2).
- Babaniyi, O., Mulenga, D., Muula, A. S., Songolo, P. Mazaba-Liwewe, M. L., Besa, C., Chisompola, N., Rudatsikira, E. and Siziya, S. (2014). Prevalence and correlates for smoking among persons aged 25 years or older in two rural districts of Zambia. Int J Child Health Hum Dev., 7, 187-93.
- Manyando, C., Njunju, E. M., Chileshe, J., Siziya, S. and Shiff, C. (2014). Rapid diagnostic tests for malaria and health workers' adherence to test results at health facilities in Zambia. Malaria J., 13, 166.
- Munalula-Nkandu, E., Ndebele, P., Siziya, S. and Munthali, J. (2014). To What Did They Consent? Understanding Consent Among Low Literacy Participants in a Microbicide Feasibility Study in Mazabuka, Zambia. Dev World Bioeth, Aug 1, doi: 10.1111/dewb.12069.
- Mazaba-Liwewe, M. L., Siziya, S., Monze, M., Mweene-Ndumba, I., Masaninga, F., Songolo, P., Malama, C., Chizema, E., Mwaba, P. and Babaniyi, O. A. (2014). First sero-prevalence of dengue fever specific immunoglobulin G antibodies in Western and North-Western provinces of Zambia: A population based cross sectional study. Virol J, 4, 11:135.
- Manyando, C., Njunju, E. M., Chileshe, J., Siziya, S., and Shiff, C. (2014). Rapid diagnostic tests for malaria and health workers' adherence to test results at health facilities in Zambia. Malar J,. May 2, 13:166.
- Masaninga, F., Muleba, M., Masendu, H., Songolo, P., Mweene-Ndumba, I., Mazaba-Liwewe, M. L., Kamuliwo, M., Ameneshewa, B., Siziya, S., Babaniyi, O. A. (2014). Distribution of yellow fever vectors in Northwestern and Western Provinces, Zambia. Asian Pac J Trop Med, 7 (Suppl 1):S88-S92.
- Mazaba-Liwewe, M. L., Mtaja, A., Chabala, C., Sinyangwe, S., Babaniyi, O., Monze, M., Siziya, S. and Michelo, C. (2014). Laboratory-confirmed congenital rubella syndrome at the University Teaching Hospital in Lusaka, Zambia-Case Reports. Med J Zambia 41, 24-31.
- Katepa-Bwalya, M., Masaninga, F., Kalesha-Masumbu, P., Malumo, S., Kankasa, C., Babaniyi, O., Mukonka, V. and Siziya S. (2014). Prevalence of Common Childhood Illnesses and Immunization Status in Infants and Young Children in Two Districts of Zambia. Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology, 6, 246-51.
- Chirambo, R. M., Baboo, K. S. and Siziya, S. (2014). Performance of acute flaccid paralysis surveillance system in Zambia: 2000 to 2009- an analysis of secondary data. International Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology, 3(10,) 75-81
- Rudatsikira, E., Babaniyi, O., Siziya, S., Mulenga, D., Muula, A. S. and Mazaba-Liwewe, M. L. (2014). Correlates of bullying victimization among school-going adolescents in Algeria: Results from the 2011 Global School-Based Health Survey. Int J Med Public Health, 4(4), 407-12.
- Eichbaum, Q., Nyarango, P., Ferrao, J., Tlale, N., Hedimbi, M., Belo, C., Bowa, K., Vainio, O. and Kumwenda, J. (2014). Challenges and opportunities for new Medical Schools in Africa. Lancet Glob Health, Dec; 2(12):e689-90. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(14)70334-1. No abstract available.
- Kalyesubula, R., Wearne, N., Semitala, F.C. and Bowa, K. J. (2014). HIV-associated renal and genitourinary comorbidities in Africa. Acquir Immune Defic Syndr., Sep 1;67 Suppl 1:S68-78. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000000259. Review.
- Simuyemba, M., Talib, Z., Michelo, C., Mutale, W., Zulu, J., Andrews, B., Nzala, S., Katubulushi, M., Njelesani, E., Bowa, K., Maimbolwa, M., Mudenda, J. and Mulla Y. (2014). Strengthening faculty recruitment for health professions training in basic sciences in Zambia. Acad Med. Aug; 89 (8 Suppl): S98-S101. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000352.
- Eichbaum, Q., Bowa, K., Pires, P., Vanio, O. and Nyarango, P. (2014). Challenges and opportunities for new Medical Schools in Africa: the Consortium of new Southern African Medical Schools (CONSAMS). Acad Med. Aug; 89 (8 Suppl):S108-9. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000340.
- Bowa, K. and Anderson, P. G. (2014). Using virtual microscopy at Copperbelt University, Zambia. Acad Med. Aug; 89(8 Suppl):S107-8. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000332.
- Bowa, K. (2014). Sexual function of males with chronic liver disease. 1.Ann Afr Med., Apr-Jun, 13(2), 86. No abstract available.
- Sokal, D. C., Li, P.S., Zulu, R., Awori, Q. D., Combes, S. L., Simba, R. O., Lee R., Hart, C., Perchal, P., Hawry, H. J., Bowa, K., Goldstein M. and Barone, M.,A. (2014). Randomized Controlled Trial of the Shang Ring Versus Conventional Surgical Techniques for Adult Male Circumcision: Safety and Acceptability. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. Apr 1, 65(4), 447-55. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000000061.
- Mwanakasale, V., Songolo, P., Babaniyi, O. and Simarro, P. (2014). Clinical presentation of human African Trypanosomiasis in Zambia is linked to the existence of strains of Trypanosoma Brucei Rhodesiense with varied virulence: Two Case Reports. J Med Case Rep. Feb 14;8:53. doi: 10.1186/1752-1947-8-53.
- Mukonka, V. M., Chanda, E., Haque, U., Kamuliwo, M., Mushinge, G., Chileshe, J., Chibwe, K. A., Norris, D. E., Mulenga, M., Chaponda, M., Muleba, M., Glass, G. E., Moss, W. J. and Malar, J. (2014). High burden of malaria following scale-up of control interventions in Nchelenge District, Luapula Province, Zambia. Malaria Journal, Apr 23;13:153. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-13-153.
- Mukonka, V.M., Malumo, S., Kalesha, P., Nambao, M., Mwale, R., Mwinga, K., Katepa-Bwalya, M., Babaniyi, O., Mason, E., Phiri, C. and Wamulume, P. K. (2014). Holding a Country Countdown to 2015 Conference on Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) - the Zambian experience. BMC Public Health, Jan 21, 14:60. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-60.
- Price, J. E., Phiri, L., Mulenga, D., Hewett, P.C., Topp, S. M., Shiliya, N. and Hatzold, K. (2014). Behavior change pathways to voluntary medical male circumcision: narrative interviews with circumcision clients in Zambia. PLoS One. Nov 6, 9(11):e111602. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0111602. eCollection 2014.
- Kwangu, M., Yassa, P., Lambwe, N., Mukosha, M. and Sifumila, G. (2014). Interplay between nitric oxide (NO) and G-6-PD deficiency activity in primary hypertension. International Journal of Medical and Medical Science, 6(7), 165-170.
- Kwangu, M., Chikoya, S., Yassa, P., Lambwe, N. and Sifumila, G. (2014). G-6-PD deficiency and its role in pathophysiology of essential hypertension. Journal of Medical Science and technology, 3(2), 67-74.
- Moses, M., Yassa, P., Kapasa, M., Hira, S., Kwangu, M. and Sifumila, G. (2014). aminophylline loading dose and serum sodium ions in premature neonates admitted to Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the UTH Lusaka. Zambia Journal of Medical Science and technology, 3(3), 108-114.
- Manyando, C., Njunju, E.M., Mwakazanga, D., Chongwe, G., Mkandawire, R., Champo, D., Mulenga, M., De Crop M., Claeys, Y., Ravinetto, R.M., van Overmeir, C., Alessandro, U. D. and Van Geertruyden, J. P. (2014). Safety of daily co-trimoxazole in pregnancy in an area of changing malaria epidemiology: a phase 3b randomized controlled clinical trial Plos One, May 15, 9(5):e96017. doi:0.1371/journal.pone.0096017. eCollection 2014, PMID:24830749.
- Simooya, O. O. (2014). Antiprotozoal drugs. In Aronson J.K, ed. Side Effects of Drugs Annual 35, 495 – 502. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier B.V.
- Simooya, O. O. et al. (2014). Aggressive awareness campaigns may not be enough for HIV prevention in prisons – Studies in Zambia Suggest Time for Evidence Based Interventions. The Open Infectious Diseases Journal; 8, 1-7
- Simooya, O. O. (2014). Antiprotozoal drugs. In Ray SD, ed. Side Effects of Drugs Annual 36, 393- 400. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier B.V.
- Simooya, O. O. (2014). A Review of selected programmes in prison settings- an inventory of HIV and AIDS Services in Zambian Prisons. Technical Report for UNODC, Zambia.
University Clinic – Department of Health Services
Critical Areas for Partnership with Local and International Organisations
- Ministry of Health- provide research consultancy.
- Tropical Disease Research centre- joint ethical research committee and research application.
- World Health Organisation- research and consultancy.
- UNZA School of medicine- joint Research projects.
- National science Technology council-joint research.
School of Mines and Mineral Sciences
Current Research Activities
- Synthesis, characterization and evaluation of the safety of Cu, CuO and ZnO nanoparticles using proteomics techniques – Joint research between CBU and Mintek of South Africa funded by National Science and Technology Council (NSTC).
- The evaluation of the toxicology of gold nanoparticles – collaboration between CBU and Mintek under the memorandum signed in 2013.
- Development of a Technology to Compress and Package Biogas for Household Heat and Power’ funded by Heart Project University Research Grant from NUFFIC-NICHE of the Netherlands.
2014 Publications : Journals
- Mwandila, G., Pang, S., and Woei-Lean, S. (2014). Semi-empirical determination of overall volumetric molar transfer coefficient for the scrubbing of gaseous Tars in biodiesel. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 53, 4424?4428.
- Makondo, C., Chola, K. and Moonga, B. (2014). Climate change adaptation and food security in zambia: a case of rain fed dependent small-holder farmers. American Journal of Climate Change.
- Mwaanga, P., Carraway R. E. and Schlautman, M.A. (2014). The pH dependence of natural organic sorption to nanoparticles and its ability to stabilize nanoparticles in aqueous solutions. European Scientific Journal SPECIAL/edition ISSN: 1857–7881(Print) e-ISSN1857-7431N.
- Mwaanga, P., Carraway, E.R. and Schlautman, M.A. (2014). Preferential sorption of some natural organic matter fractions to titanium dioxide nanoparticles: Influence of pH and Ionic strength. Journal of Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, DOI: 10.1007/s10661-014-4047-4.
- Mwaanga, P., Van den Hurk, P. and Carraway, E.R. (2014). The induction of biochemical changes in Daphnia magna by CuO and ZnO nanoparticles. Journal of Aquatic Toxicology, 150, 201-209.
- Hara, Y.R.S., (2014). Mineral sulphide-lime reactions and effect of CaO/C mole ratio during carbothermic reduction of complex mineral sulphides. International Journal of Minerals, Metallurgy, and Materials. 21 (1), 1-11, DOI: 10.1007/s12613-014-0858-0.
- Mudenda, S., Kale, G. M., and Hara, Y.R.S. (2014). Rapid synthesis and electrical transition in p-type delafossite CuAlO 2. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 9233-9239, DOI: 10.1039/C4TC01349B.
- Mwandila, G. and Mugala, A. N. (2014). A procedure for upgrading biogas and method of measuring its composition at household level in developing African Countries. Zambian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 3(1), 16-19.
- Nkonde, G.K., Kasongole, W.C. and Simuchimba, G. (2014). The potential of Moringa seed extract as a natural coagulant for shallow well water treatment. Zambian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 3(1), 41-44.
- Ntengwe F.W. and Nkonde, G.K. (2014). Project development in Chemical Engineering: An example of viability analysis for chloride plant. Zambian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 3(1): 20-29.
- Ntengwe, F.W., Mwelwa, E. and Witika, L.K. (2014). An economic assessment of electrorefining process: The case of Nkana Copper Refinery in Kitwe, Zambia. Zambian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 3(1), 3-10.
- Siame, E., Mbewe, M., Witika, L.K. and Ntengwe, F.W. (2014). Optimization of the zinc solvent extraction plant at Nkana Cobalt Plant of Mopani Copper Mines in Zambia. Zambian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 3(1), 11-15.
- Siame, J. and Kasaini, H. (2014). Precipitation of platinum and base metals in a gas-liquid chloride system. Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, S18, 207-217.
- Sichilima S., Makondo C. and Lungu C. (2014). Impact assessment of increasing population in suburban areas on water quality- A Case Study in Kitwe Township. International Journal of Environmental Science and Development, 6(1), 34-39, DOI: 10.7763/IJESD.2015. V6.557.
- Witika, L.K., Zulu, S. and Ntengwe, F.W. (2014). The optimization of the velocity on the denitrification process in an upflow sludge blanket manure denitrification reactor. Zambian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 3(1), 35-40.
2014 Publications : Conference Proceedings
- Siame, J., Muchima, K., Chirwa, D. and Magawa, P. C. (2014): Optimization of Gravity Recovery of Gold at High Pressure Leach Plant of Kansanshi Mining PLC, Zambia. International Conference Proceedings of Planetary Scientific Research Centre, April 15-16th, 2014, Johannesburg, South Africa, 168-171.
2014 Publications : Conference Paper Presentations
- Mwaanga, P. (2014). Analysis of metallothionein induction in Daphnia Magna by high pressure size exclusion chromatography, Paper presentation at SEANAC, June, Reef Hotel, Mombasa, Kenya.
- Mwanga, P. (2014). The estimation and the significance of the point of zero charge for agricultural soils, paper presentation at Chemical Society of Zambia, January, 2014, Moba, Hotel, Kitwe, Zambia.
- Sichilima, S. (2014). Enhancing safe production through improving safety culture of mining in Zambia, a paper presented at 1st HSE Conference, July, Mulungush International Conference centre, Lusaka, Zambia.
- Banda, P. (2014). Development of national environmental monitoring (NEMP), Paper presentation at Chemical Society of Zambia, January, 2014, Moba, Hotel, Kitwe, Zambia.
- Chirambo B. (2014). Public participation in large scale mining projects, a paper presented at Vina Derma, Chile May.
- Banda, P. (2014). Development of EIA in Zambia, IAIAI4 Conference, a paper presented at Vina Derma, Chile May.
- Mwiya, S. (2014). Bridging the gap between the Mining Industry and Universities – a key to creating a world class mining operation on the Copperbelt. Presented at the Copperbelt Mining Exposition in April.
- Kawala, J. (2014). Investigation on the optimum pH for leaching out low grade copper-cobalt-iron ore during heap leaching. Presented at the 18th Conference on Environment and Mineral Processing, in Czech Republic at the Technical University of Ostrava, 30th May.
- Dr. Siame, J. (2014). Reactive absorption kinetics of sulphur dioxide in acidic chloride solutions: aspect of platinum precipitation, Paper presented at the 1st International Conference on Phosphates and Mine Exploration 29-30th October, in Siavonga, Zambia.
- Dr. Chileshe, F. (2014). Upgrading phosphate content in acidified Sinda phosphate rock, Paper presented at the 1st International Conference on Phosphates and Mine Exploration 29-30th October, in Siavonga, Zambia.
- Mr. Ntengwe, F. (2014). Phosphate ore fertilizers and exploration: an opportunity for Zambia’s economic activity, Paper presented at the 1st International Conference on Phosphates and Mine Exploration 29-30th October 2014 in Siavonga, Zambia.
- Dr. Chileshe, P.R.K. (2014). Mine production and productivity constraints at old underground mines in Zambia, Paper presented at the 1st International Conference on Phosphates and Mine Exploration 29-30th October 2014 in Siavonga, Zambia.
School of Natural Resources
- Ncube, E., Prof. Nkonde, G., and Mpala, P., Effects of Amonia on Growth of Broiler Chickens. Copperbelt University and NICHE Project.
- Ncube, E., Dr. Meincken, M., and Malambo, F., Discoloration of five damaged Pinus species timber from Zambia and effects on the performance of wood coatings.
- Ncube, E., Malambo, F., Ng’andwe, P., and Dr. Chaamwe, N., Xylarum And Web based wood data base for commercial, user used and lesser known timber species In Zambia
- Simuchimba, G., Kapembwa, S. and Mambwe, D. (2014). Performance of aquaculture-horticulture integration in the North Western Province of Zambia: Solwezi, Mwinilunga, Zambezi, Mufumbwe, and Kasempa (North western province)
- Nalanvwe, A., Chisha-Kasumu, E., Kalinda, C. and Vinya, R. Growth response of chikanda to organic and in-organic fertilizers
- Nalanvwe, A., Chisha-Kasumu, E., Kalinda, C. and Vinya. R. Growth response of chikanda to dambo and miombo soils
- van der Ent, A., Erskine, P., Mulligan, D., Vinya, R., Maseka, K.K. and Siame, J. The potential of Zambian Copper-Cobalt hyperaccumulator plants for phytoremediation of polluted (mining/smelter) soils. A collaborative Action Research with the University of Queensland Australia. Funded by the International Mining for Development Cooperation (IM4DC)
- Vinya, R., Kalinda, C. and Mambwe, D. Influence of fertilization on plant functional traits and physiological performance of Baikea plurijuga
- Vinya, R. and Banda, R. Long-term carbon dynamics in Miombo woodlands in Zambia
2014 Publications : Journals
- Berens, D.G., Chama, L., Albrecht, L. and Farwig, N. (2014). High conservation value of forest fragments for plant and frugivore communities in a fragmented forest landscape in South Africa. BIOTROPICA, 46(3), 350–356.
- Chali, M., Musuka, C.G. and Nyimbili, B. (2014). The impact of fishing pressure on Kapenta (Limnothrissa miodon) production in Lake Kariba, Zambia: A case study of Siavonga District. International Journal of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, 2(6), 107-116.
- Chimba, N. and Musuka, C. G. (2014). Impact of closed fishing season on the livelihood of fishers: A Case of Stratum I of Kafue Fishery. International Journal of Life Sciences Research, ISSN 2348-3148 (online) 2(1), 49-62.
- Chirwa, P.W., Syampungani, S. and Geldenhuys, C. J. (2014). Managing Southern African Woodlands for biomass production: The potential challenges and opportunities. in: bio-energy from wood: sustainable production in tropics, managing forest ecosystems. Springer, Dordrecht, 67-87.
- Chomba, C., Chimbola, O. and Nyirenda, V. (2014). Game ranching: a sustainable land use option and economic incentive for biodiversity conservation in Zambia. Open Journal of Ecology, 4(9), 571-581.
- Chomba, C., Senzota R., Chabwela H. N. and Nyirenda V. R. (2014). Patterns in the performance of the Crocodile Farming Industry in Zambia: a bio-safety and backup strategy for the long-term survival of the crocodile population in the wild. Interdisciplinary Review of Economics and Management, 3(2): 25-38.
- Chomba, C., Simpamba, T., Kampamba, G. and Nyirenda, V. (2014). Do the Luangwa hippo population size and density distribution vary between upper and lower study blocks? What are the management implications of such distribution pattern? Open Journal of Ecology, 4, 262-280.
- Dyer, J, Stringer, L.C., Dougill, A.J., Leventon, J., Nshimbi, M., Chama, F., Kafwifwi, A. J.I., Muledi, J., Kaumbu, M.K., Falcao, M., Muhorro ,S., Munyemba, F., Kalaba G.M. and Syampungani, S. (2014). Assessing participatory practices in community-based natural resource management: Experiences in community engagement from southern Africa. Journal of Environmental Management, 37, 137–145.
- German, L., Mandondo, A., Paumgarten, F. and Mwita, J. (2014). Shifting rights, property and authority in the forest frontier: ‘stakes’ for local land users and citizens. Journal of Peasant Studies, 41, 51-78.
- Kalaba, F. K. (2014). A Conceptual Framework for understanding forest socio-ecological systems. Journal of Biodiversity Conservation, DOI 10.1007/s10531-014-0792-5.
- Kalaba, F.K., Quinn, C.H. and Dougill, A. J. (2014). Policy coherence and interplay between Zambia’s forest, energy, agricultural and climate change policies and multilateral environmental agreements. International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, 14,181-198.
- Kaonga, B. (2014). Atmospheric aerosol loading (PM10) during 12 months period at Phokeng in Rustenburg, South Africa. European Journal of Scientific Research. 123(2).
- Kaonga, B. and Ebenso, E. E. (2014). Atmospheric aerosol loading (pm10) during a twelve month period at phokeng in Rustenburg, South Africa. European Journal of Scientific Research, 123(2), 117-128.
- Lindsey, P., Nyirenda, V., Barnes, J., Becker, M., McRobb, R., Tambling, C., Taylor, A., Watson, F. and t’Sas Rolfes, M. (2014). Underperformance of African protected area networks and the case for new conservation models: insights from Zambia. PLoS One, 9(5): e94109. DOI:10.1371/journal.prone.0094109.
- Mwimanzi, and Musuka, C. (2014). The Potential of Mopani Worm (Gonimbrasia belina) as an alternative protein source in fish feed. International Journal of Aquaculture, 4(12): 73-78.
- Moonga, K. and Musuka, C.G. (2014). The effect of accidentally introduced red swamp crayfish (Procambarus Clarkii) in Kafue Fishery. International Journal of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. 2(1), 8-15.
- Namukonde, N. (2014). An assessment of Puku (Kobus vardonii) populations in Kafue National Park, Zambia using ground transects other than the road network. Journal of Life Sciences, 6(1-2), 13-23.
- Nyawali, B., Chungu, D., Chisha-Kasumu, E., Vinya, R., Chileshe, F. and Ng'andwe, P. (2015). Enzymatic browning reduction in white cabbage (Brassica oleracea) using honey: Does honey color matter? Journal of Food Science and Technology, 61, 543-549.
- Nkhoma, and Musuka, C. (2014). Effect of Commercial Feed on Sexual Maturity of Two Tilapia Species (Oroechromis niloticus and Oreochromis tanganicae). International Journal of Aquaculture, 4(16): 96-101.
- Nkonde, G. K., Kasongole, W. C. and Simuchimba, G. (2014). The potential of moringa seed extract as a natural coagulant for shallow well water treatment. Zambian Journal of Chemical Engineering (ZJChE), 3(1), 41-44.
- Nyirenda, V. R., Siamudaala, V. M. and Kaula, M. (2014). Management effectiveness and potential for Tourism of Peri-Urban Lusaka National Park, Zambia: a Preliminary Assessment. Environment and Natural Resources Research, 4(1): 117-129.
- Phiri, K. and Musuka, C.G. (2014). The diversity of fish species in Ngwerere Stream of Chongwe District in Lusaka Province, Zambia. International Journal of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, 2(6): 101-106.
- Sakala, and Musuka, C. (2014). The effect of Ammonia on growth and survival of Tilapia Rendalli In Quail Manured Tanks. International Journal of Aquaculture, 4(22), 1-6.
- Stringer, L. C., Dougill, A. J., Dyer, J. C., Leventon, J., Vincent, K., Fritzsche, F., Falcão, M. P., Manyakaidze, P., Syampungani, S., Kalaba, G. and Powell, P. (2014). Advancing climate compatible development: Lessons from Southern Africa. Regional Environmental Change, 14, 713-725.
- Syampungani, S., Clendening, J., Gumbo, D., Nasi, R., Moombe, K. and Chirwa, P.W. (2014). The impact of land use and cover change on above and below-ground carbon stocks of the Miombo Woodlands Since the 1950s: A systematic review protocol. Environmental Evidence, 3, 25.
- Ratnasingam, J., Ng’andwe, P., Ioras, F. and Abrudan, I. V. (2014). Forestry and Forest products industries in Zambia and The role of REDD+ Initiatives. International Forestry Review. 16(4), 474.
2014 Publications : Conference
- Ncube, E., Chungu, D., Ng’andwe, P., Kamdem, D. P., Chongo, A. and Mwale, E. (2014). Premature failure of creosote treated electricity transmission wood poles in Zambia. Proceedings of the 57th International Convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology, 57, 745-752.