CBU invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Legal Counsel
THE COPPERBELT UNIVERSITY
The Copperbelt University as a Public University established through an Act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987. The University’s core business is Teaching, Research and Consultancy as a service to the nation. The University hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment to fill the position of Legal Counsel.
To provide legal services, advice and professional guidance to the University Council and management in order to ensure that the University activities and transactions are conducted in accordance with the Higher Education Act no. 4 of 2013, National constitution, the laws of Zambia and international law.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The job holder reports to the Registrar and:-
- Provides legal services and advice to the University Council and Management on the University’s activities and transactions which involve analysis, interpretation and application of the University Act and other statutes to ensure compliance with the law.
- Plans and controls the execution of duties in legal services which involve conveyance, legal drafting, trust, contracts, agreements and litigation to ensure that they are effectively and efficiently executed.
- Provide the University Council and Management with legal opinions on any matter of policy in the University to ensure legal tenability of such policies or influence amendments to relevant legislation to allow for the implementation of those policies.
- Provide secretarial services to the University Staff Tribunal.
- Advise on draft contracts and/or agreements for the procurement, disposal and exchange of equipment/machinery, services, building and property in accordance with the provision of the laws of Zambia and University policy.
- Attends to any local and international negotiations to which the University is a party, drafts and vets agreements associated with such negotiations and ensuring that the interest of the University is safeguarded at all stages.
- Examines circumstances of civil disputes or charges alleging infringements of law i.e. agreements, contracts, conveyance etc affecting the University’s operations to ascertain facts of the cases prior to preparing effective pleas and/or defence.
- Determines applicable law, from appropriate law codes, statutes, regulations and previous decisions to use when writing opinions, prepares pleas, defences and grounds of prosecutions in order to ensure that provisions of law are complied with and University interests adequately safeguarded.
- Institutes title searching to establish legal/lawful ownership of property before the University can enter into contract for the leasing, acquisition or disposal of property to avoid legal complications in future.
- Custodian of all legal resources such as Title Deeds of Land and Certificates of all University property, records, equipment and any other property.
- Responsible for proper utilization and management of financial resources realized from business transactions.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual reports on cases and other legal matters that have a bearing on the University.
- Perform any other duties lawfully assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized institution;
- Advocate of the High Court for Zambia and holder of a current practicing certificate from the Law Association of Zambia; and
- Minimum 7 years post- practice qualification experience.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Good communication and people skills
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Research and analytical skills
- Time management skills
Candidates meeting the above specifications and requirements should submit: detailed Curriculum Vitae with photocopies of credentials and other relevant documents plus names and addresses of Three (3) referees (Two of whom must be in candidate’s field of specialization) should be professionally acquainted with the applicant. Application should be sent to the undersigned no later than Electronic applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and physical applications to:
Jambo Drive, Riverside
P O Box 21692
Note that; only shortlisted candidates will be communicated to.