CBU invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Assistant Registrar- Industrial Relations.
THE COPPERBELT UNIVERSITY
The Copperbelt University being a Public Institution and an equal opportunity employer, hereby invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Assistant Registrar- Industrial Relations.
To provide expert and professional advice for the maintenance of sound employer/employee relations that promote a conflict free work environment in which teaching, learning and research thrive for the attainment of set goals and objectives in conformity with the Copperbelt University’s (CBU) corporate strategy.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The job holder:-
- Provides guidance and expert interpretation of university policies on staff matters in order to minimize employee complaints, potential adverse impact of lawsuits and compliance problems.
- Interacts with labour unions to promote effective and efficient labour relations between Management and employees and ensures detection of potential industrial relations problems well before they surface.
- Resolves disputes by engaging in conflict management through meetings with conflicting factions to discuss differences of opinion and create compromise that inhibits the conflict from escalating.
- Represents Management in tribunals, courts etc., in the case of escalating conflicts.
- Expertly handles grievance and disciplinary matters and provides appropriate responses even in complex situations as concerns employer/employee relations, performance management and employee discipline.
- Examines industrial disputes and recommends solutions.
- Participates in negotiations for employee rates of pay and employment conditions of service.
- Under the direction of the Deputy Registrar, conducts research into particular industrial relations issues, analyses legal matters and studies new regulations to predict likely impact on labour relations.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by superior.
- Is custodian of labour relations laws, policies and regulations
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Sound knowledge of the Zambian labour laws
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with University Labour Unions.
- Ability to prepare and present training programs and materials on industrial relations.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Knowledge of equal opportunity and affirmative action requirements as related to higher education human resources procedures.
- Knowledge of human resources administration principles and practices.
- Ability to analyze complex information, and to define and solve problems.
- Advanced analytical, evaluative, and objective critical thinking skills and the ability to effectively summarize and present information.
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Knowledge of current and emerging legislation, issues and trends as appropriate to the position.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Relations, Human Resources Management and any other relevant qualification. A first degree in law will be an added advantage.
RELEVANT JOB EXPERIENCE:
Minimum of 7 years working experience in industrial relations. Practical experience in handling and resolving industrial disputes is required.
Interested individuals meeting the above qualifications should submit detailed curriculum vitae, certified copies of Academic and Professional certificates and names of three referees, two of whom must be professional.
Candidates meeting the above specifications and requirements should submit their hard copy applications to the undersigned no later than 30th January, 2019 or soft copies to firstname.lastname@example.org
P O. Box 21692
Note that only short listed candidates will be communicated to.